If you don't wear jewelry, chances are you're not that comfortable buying it for someone else. But there you stand in the jewelry aisle, hoping to pick out something for that special someone, realizing you're not quite sure what to do next...
Never fear! Ashley Vaughan buys a lot of jewelry. Not only is she the lead buyer for Tender Loving Empire, but she's spent her share of time in the jewelry aisle helping out people just like you. Here are her top 5 tips for how to buy jewelry for someone if you don't know anything about wearing jewelry.
1. Don't buy earrings with mystery metal posts. Many people have metal allergies, and the last thing you want to do is pick out earrings that someone will be allergic to. If you know they have a metal allergy, avoid that metal. If you're not sure, Sterling Silver and 14k Gold are best. Always go nickel-free.
2. Stalk their selfies! Look for jewelry on their Instagram feed and use that as a visual guide to what they like. It's the best way to have their style on lock and make shopping easy.
3. Go simple and classic with all metal jewelry lines. Avoid lots of beading or anything too big, bright and colorful. You want a safe gift that anyone would like, but that is still special and unique. If you find the perfect thing, buy the earrings, necklace, bracelet or ring to match.
4. Make it meaningful. If all else fails, a locket necklace with a photo or sweet message inside will do the trick.
5. Ask for help! Sales people have great insight into what lines are popular and which styles sell best. My favorite question to ask them is, “What lines are you excited about lately?” If you shop local and shop small, you're more likely to talk to sales people who have close relationships with the makers of the products in their store. That knowledge goes a long way towards finding the perfect gift.
Did this help? To help you out even more, Ashley's picked out a selection of jewelry from our stores you need to see. And remember we'll give you free shipping on all orders of $50 or more. Now's the time to take the plunge! Take a look at our online jewelry selection here.