Buying Team Assistant
Tender Loving Empire operates 6 brick-and-mortar stores in the greater Portland area + online, curating a collection of goods and music from hundreds of independent makers for people who want to support their creative community, surround themselves with beauty, and live wholehearted. TLE has been part of the creative community in Portland since 2007 with a simple, three-part mission statement: empower and support creatives, enrich and fulfill employees, and to delight and inspire patrons. We truly believe when you live wholehearted you are an optimist and a do-gooder, a dabbler and a dreamer; you go after your dreams and help others succeed in theirs; you understand that small businesses keep our communities from being boring, homogenous, impersonal, money-over-people type places.
Applying to work at Tender Loving Empire is a choice to support hundreds of makers, musicians and small businesses. Together we can make our communities more vibrant, creative, compassionate and connected.
We are looking for someone creative, driven, and up for a challenge to join our Buying Department at Tender Loving Empire. We are problem solvers and strivers, doing everything we can to make the best decisions to inspire and delight our customers! We ensure the bottom-line success of Tender Loving Empire with our organization, attention to detail, carefully maintained relationships with artists, open communication with other teams, and commitment to excellence.
The Buying Team Assistant will play an integral role in the Buying Team’s success, with responsibilities including managing inventory fulfillment and discrepancies, running basic reports and communicating relevant information to purchasers, allocating music and Family Brand products to stores based on an big-picture understanding of sales and merchandising, preparing web shop product information and aiding with web merchandising, maintaining positive and prompt vendor relations, and various special projects. We’re a small team, but one with hefty goals and responsibilities - the right person for this role will epitomize open communication, teamwork, flexibility, and a willingness to take on new challenges.
What we’re looking for:
- 2 years or more specialty retail experience
- Strong computer skills (our company lives and breathes via Google Docs + Slack)
- Strong multi-tasking skills - must be able to individually prioritize and balance a wide variety of tasks
- Intuitive problem solving skills - must be willing to investigate and solve issues independently
- Strong attention to detail and an appreciation for organization and accuracy
- Familiarity with the scope of artists + products at Tender Loving Empire
- Strong work ethic - TLE is a fun place to work, but we work hard!
- A good attitude and an ability to keep the bigger picture in mind in the face of challenges
- Ability to accept and implement constructive criticism
- 2 weekdays per week availability to start
- A comprehensive understanding of the Vend POS system and Google Suite, particularly Google Sheets
- An understanding of TLE’s product brands (Wholesale, Consignment, Family Brands) and their differentiations
- Knowledge of specific top selling artists + vendors in each product category
- Understanding of basic Buying Team KPI (Key Performance Indicator) terms - margin, sell-through, cost of goods, gross profit, etc.
- $17/hour starting pay
- Employee discount
- Healthiest You - health advice benefit for PT and FT employees
- PT to start with potential of FT position within a year
- Medical and dental benefits offered to FT employees
- Oregon Saves account access
- HSA account via some health insurance options
- Occasional free tickets to live music and other TLE-sponsored events.
- Working alongside the best and most dedicated team :)
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line BUYING TEAM ASSISTANT and include an introduction of yourself along with your resume.