Tender Loving Empire, a growing specialty retail company with great opportunities for future career development, is hiring a full-time store manager for its store on SW 10th Ave in Portland, Oregon.
The Downtown Store Manager (SM) oversees all the operations of Tender Loving Empire’s store at our SW 10th location. This person oversees a small team of store employees and reports directly to the Portland Retail District Store Manager (PRDSM) and works with all members of the Buying Team to ensure the store is always impeccably stocked and merchandised.
This person is an upbeat, positive leader who embodies all of TLE’s core values. This person is excited about working as a team player, and is in love with handmade goods and local music. This person loves to train, schedule and encourage our employees but always holds them accountable to the jobs they were hired for. They have a positive attitude and are willing to roll up their sleeves to get things done. They are happy to work the sales floor, attend to customer service inquiries and receive and unpack product, all while striving to meet TLE’s sales goals.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Ensures efficient day-to-day operation of the store
- Maintains store staff by recruiting and training employees.
- Maintains store staff job results by: scheduling, coaching, counseling, teaching, inspiring and disciplining employees; planning, monitoring, and appraising job results.
- Assists with monthly store staff meetings.
- Conducts quarterly reviews with each store staff member.
- Exemplifies and instills TLE core values and leadership traits.
- Exemplifies customer service excellence and encourages store staff to do the same.
- Responsible for the execution and maintenance of the merchandising plan with modifications and changes in merchandising that might improve sales performance.
- Develops merchandising skills in store staff.
- Secures merchandise and reduces theft by properly using security & monitoring systems and training staff in theft prevention measures. Keeps a safe and clean store environment,, and ensures standards for quality, customer service and health and safety are met.
- Properly and promptly responds to escalated customer complaints and comments.
- Maintains operations by initiating, coordinating, and enforcing program, operational, and personnel policies and procedures. Maintaining product and vendor knowledge of the items we carry. Attending bi-weekly Retail Operations meetings.
- Promotes customer email list and encourages follow up online sales.
- Works on special store promotions, displays, events and other marketing opportunities within store.
- Works the sales floor regularly to stay in touch with customer and staff issues and trends.
- Makes weekly cash deposits at bank and keeps accurate record of deposits.
- Maintains organization and cleanliness of backroom and storage areas.
- Must have at least 2 years prior general management experience in specialty or clothing retail (i.e. you were a store manager with staff).
- College degree preferred.
- Excellent organizational, communication and writing skills.
- Computer and spreadsheet skills essential.
- Must have visual merchandising, sales and marketing experience.
- Available to begin work October 1, 2018.
- Starting wage will be discussed during application process!
Please submit via email to email@example.com with “DT STORE MANAGER” as the subject line and include the following:
- Cover letter detailing why you would be a good fit for this job and why Tender Loving Empire is a company you’d like to work for.
- 2-3 professional references including references full name, title, phone and email.
Click here to take a simple 10 minute work style assessment.
About Tender Loving Empire
Tender Loving Empire (TLE) was founded by Jared and Brianne Mees in 2006 in Portland Oregon. Our goal is and has always been to make connections with visual artists, designers, musicians and craftspeople—and then connect them to new fans, and listeners. We've expanded from our humble beginnings as a mom and pop operation in a tiny out-of-the-way location to a thriving multi-vertical company that employs ~ 40 people via 4 Portland retail stores: downtown (in the West End), on SE Hawthorne, on NW 23rd, and most recently at the Portland Airport. We also have an ecommerce website, a line of signature products and an internationally distributed record label. Tender Loving Empire is an Equal Opportunity Employer.