Bookkeeper / Office Manager
This position has closed! But you can keep an eye on other openings on our Jobs page.
Tender Loving Empire, a growing specialty retail company with great opportunities for future career development, is hiring a Bookkeeper / Office Manager to begin in January 2017. We are looking for someone who is passionate about handmade goods, local music, spreadsheets, debits and credits, coffee and people.
Bookkeeper / Office Manager
This person’s job will have two relatively equal components, TLE’s day to day bookkeeper and the office manager for TLE’s central headquarters offices. This person will report directly to the leadership team and will also work closely with our outside CPA, buying team, and label manager. They will also be the face of TLE’s HQ office, greeting visitors, setting up for meetings and generally assisting our leadership teams with each day’s tasks. We we are looking for someone who fits our culture and respects our core values, and for someone with good attention to detail who can work quickly and autonomously yet is also a clear and straightforward communicator.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Office Administration: (20 hours/week)
- Supervise all office needs and serve as front line for visitors and phone calls
Learn appropriate greetings and etiquette to properly handle
contacts with staff, vendors and customers
- Routinely re-order office and other administrative supplies;
- Update mail/phone directories and make these available to staff
- Make travel arrangements for staff as requested
- Manage calendars and schedule appointments of executive staff
Screen incoming calls and correspondence and respond independently when
- Make logistical arrangements for meetings and larger events
- Organization of human resources files
- Communicate with landlord, utilities, fire department, and others as needed.
- Provide other administrative support to organization staff as needed
Purchase supplies and equipment as authorized by management
- Handle customer service inquiries within capacity
- Take messages and arrange "callbacks" to protect executive and staff time
- Route calls elsewhere as needed
- Maintain TLE family calendar
- Arrange commitments to maximize executive staff’s time efficiency
- Arrange conference room schedule
- Set up for staff meetings
- Make coffee, Pick up food orders etc.
- Record minutes when needed, prepare action minutes when needed
Bookkeeping - QuickBooks (QB) knowledge required: (20 hours/week)
- Office financial administration, including accounts receivable and payables
- Issues checks for all payables, sends invoices, enters bills
- Follows up on invoices sent (receivables)
- Assists in cash flow tracking
- Facilitates payroll with 3rd party processor
- Monthly review and follow up A/R and A/P aging
- Reconcile bank and credit card accounts monthly
- Make bank deposits / Enter company wide deposits into Quickbooks weekly
- Provide reports to executive team as needed
- Maintain an orderly accounting filing system
- Assist in the preparation of the annual budget
The ideal candidate should posses the following skills and qualifications:
- Minimum 2 years experience in bookkeeping, additional office management experience is a plus.
Must have pleasant communication skills: direct and clear
communication with supervisors and co-workers, and professional follow-up with clients, vendors and others.
- Must be highly organized, motivated and remain flexible under pressure. Attention to detail, ability to prioritize and follow through a must.
Must have access to a vehicle and obtain a valid Oregon drivers license within six
months of hire.
- Salary depends on experience
- Minimum of high school education or equivalent required, Bachelor’s Degree preferred.
- Must have excellent typing/computer skills, including proficiency in Mac OS, Google Docs, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, QuickBooks Pro, knowledge of billing and HR systems and procedures, and an ability/willingness to learn new programs.
- Position requires Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm with flexibility for earlier or later hours as needed for staff meetings
- Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use. Workplace is a smoke and drug-free environment. Equal opportunity employer.
- Must be able to begin work Feb 1, 2016
Please submit via email to firstname.lastname@example.org with “BOOKKEEPER / OFFICE MANAGER” as the subject line and include the following:
- Cover letter detailing why you would be a good fit for this job and why Tender Loving Empire is a company you’d like to work for.
- Resume including salary history
- 2-3 professional references including references full name, title, phone and email.
- Click here to take a simple 10 minute work style assessment.
About Tender Loving Empire
Tender Loving Empire (TLE) was founded by Jared and Brianne Mees in 2006 in Portland Oregon. Our goal is and has always been to make connections with visual artists, designers, musicians and craftspeople—and then connect them to new fans, and listeners. We've expanded from our humble beginnings as a mom and pop operation in a tiny out-of-the-way location to a thriving multi-vertical company that employs 20 people via 3 Portland retail stores: downtown (in the West End), on SE Hawthorne, and on NW 23rd. We also have an ecommerce website, a line of signature products and an internationally distributed record label.