This position has closed! But you can keep an eye on other openings on our Jobs page.
Tender Loving Empire, a growing specialty retail company with great opportunities for future career development, is hiring a Wholesale Buyer for their Portland Oregon headquarters. This person reports directly to the leadership team. The WB buys all the wholesale products we sell in our stores and makes sure they are received, tagged and distributed to our stores in a timely fashion.
The WB is responsible for executing the wholesale buying plan. It is their job to assess the actual product quantity needs for each store and to order from the vendor accordingly. The WB uses historical sales data, current stock levels and projected sales to accurately predict the stock needed of each individual product in each individual store. This person will negotiate favorable yet fair terms with each vendor. The WB is outgoing, passionate, detail oriented and has a keen focus on connecting TLE’s needs with that of each vendor, keeping good relationships with vendors, and sending thank you, get well, birthday cards often to each vendor. The WB will communicate payment terms with the bookkeeper to be sure invoices are paid at the appropriate times.
The WB will take part in quarterly inventory counts in conjunction with the store managers.
Tasks and Responsibilities
- Contact artists that lead buyer has recommended for wholesale
- Negotiate with vendors for terms.
- Check for conflicting stockists
- Set up online wholesale accounts / request order forms
- Submit wholesale orders with vendors
- Confirm ship dates and payment terms.
- Keep correct and accurate buying records
- Meets monthly and weekly spending budgets, and communicates any budget issues with leadership team
- Ensure that best-selling items are always in stock and our stores have sufficient backstock
- Utilize historical sales data and other reports to determine quantities of products ordered and timing of orders.
- Follow up with vendors about orders that have been placed to make sure inventory has been sent.
- Create new suppliers and new items, updating as necessary
- Coordinate retagging projects in stores when prices or SKU’s change.
- Review potential vendor samples via email or physical samples and respond accordingly.
- Maintain an attentive, focused relationship with all wholesale vendors.
- Manage wholesale inventory, update pricing, SKUs, products carried etc
- Do research when requested by browsing for potential new artists
- Forward wholesale bills to bookkeeper - marked with the following: payment method, due date, totals per store.
- Keep organized filing system for invoices received.
- Must have 2 years buying experience in specialty or clothing retail
- College degree preferred
- Excellent organizational, communication, writing and phone skills
- Computer and spreadsheet skills essential
- Must have strong negotiation skills
- Available to begin work February 1st, 2017
- Position requires Monday through Friday 9:00am to 5:00pm with flexibility for earlier or later hours as needed for staff meetings
- Position requires frequent and regular computer and phone use. Workplace is a smoke and drug-free environment. Equal opportunity employer.
About Tender Loving Empire
Tender Loving Empire (TLE) was founded by Jared and Brianne Mees in 2006 in Portland Oregon. Our goal is and has always been to make connections with visual artists, designers, musicians and craftspeople—and then connect them to new fans, and listeners. We've expanded from our humble beginnings as a mom and pop operation in a tiny out-of-the-way location to a thriving multi-vertical company that employs 20 people via 3 Portland retail stores: downtown (in the West End), on SE Hawthorne, and on NW 23rd. We also have an ecommerce website, a line of signature products and an internationally distributed record label.