Marketing Manager Position
Tender Loving Empire operates 6 brick-and-mortar stores in the greater Portland area, an internationally distributed record label and an ecommerce site. We curate a collection of handmade goods and music from hundreds of independent makers for people who want to support their creative community, surround themselves with beauty, and live wholehearted. TLE has been part of the creative community in Portland since 2007 with a simple, three-part mission statement: empower and support creatives, enrich and fulfill employees, and to delight and inspire patrons. We truly believe when you live wholehearted you are an optimist and a do-gooder, a dabbler and a dreamer; you go after your dreams and help others succeed in theirs; you understand that small businesses keep our communities from being boring, homogenous, impersonal, money-over-people type places.
Applying to work at Tender Loving Empire is a choice to support hundreds of makers, musicians and small businesses. Together we can make our communities more vibrant, creative, compassionate and connected.
Tender Loving Empire is seeking a creative marketing and branding expert to help tell all the incredible stories of our company and our artists, inspire our community, and increase our customer base, with a focus on e-commerce.
The Marketing Manager (MM) will manage the day to day marketing activities of the organization and will be co-responsible, along with the CEO, in developing and elevating our marketing strategy for the company and refining our brand messaging. This person will be responsible for the voice, spirit, and the overall continuity of all marketing output of Tender Loving Empire from print to web, internal and external. The main objective of this position is to further the brand’s momentum, gain customers and as a result, increase sales. The MM will have to combine their talents as both a strategist and a doer.
They will report directly to the CEO. They will directly manage and guide our Social Media Coordinator. They will also work closely with our Art Director, Retail Ops Team, Buying Team and Web Team to identify opportunities and develop cohesive strategies and assets. They will be the main point of contact for our web development contractors and any future digital contractors.
- Sets specific marketing goals that align with overall business objectives
- Creates relevant, creative, innovative and effective marketing and advertising campaigns that meet those goals and objectives.
- Creates campaigns and strategies to convert in store customers to online customers.
- Manages all advertising relationships and budgets.
- Develops and maintains partnerships with other organizations that lead to greater brand exposure, increased traffic and sales.
- Ensures messaging at every touchpoint is in alignment with TLE business objectives, core values and mission.
- Works closely with the buying team to decide on featured products in sales, promotions and advertisements to ensure appropriate stock levels for ROI and the success of each campaign.
- Works in conjunction with the Record Label Team to cross-promote record releases and integrate handmade and label marketing.
- Stays in communication with the Director of Retail Operations to identify store/neighborhood-specific marketing opportunities and plans and executes accordingly.
- Works closely with the Director of Retail Merchandising to contribute copy-writing insight for in-store marketing signage.
- Regularly informs retail staff of upcoming promotions and progress on current promotions. Sets goals for promotions and encourages staff to participate in the success of each campaign.
- Responds to requests for donations and manages donations programs.
- Conducts quarterly company-wide copy audit to ensure that TLE’s voice is consistent across all touch points. (web, stores, marketing materials, receipts, invoices, business cards, email signatures, etc)
- Manages marketing apps and marketing campaigns on the website.
- Works with the web development team to ensure app functionality successfully supports web marketing campaigns and initiatives.
- Creates and sends regular segmented, targeted and automated emails that drive traffic to the website and lead to sales.
- Manages and guides the Social Media Coordinator to ensure consistency across platforms.
- Meaningful analytical reports on KPI’s, digital promotions, digital advertisement and social media activity created for leadership on a monthly basis.
- Manages and adheres to marketing budget.
- Will assist CEO with outsourcing a web manager/digital analyst that will eventually support this role.
Our Ideal Candidate will:
- Has a BS degree in marketing, communication or related field OR formal training in a related field OR 5+ years work experience.
- Has previous work experience in direct to consumer (B2C) marketing for e-commerce.
- Has strong project management skills.
- Presents demonstrable copywriting skills.
- Has basic knowledge of modern office and internet applications and programs and the ability to problem solve on technical platforms.
- Knowledge of current marketing and advertising best practices
- Knowledge of current social media best practices.
- Ability to analyze data and adjust strategy accordingly.
- Has a deep understanding of the handmade maker, musician and customer
- Able to work with minimal supervision and self-motivated
- Excellent communication and problem solving skills
- Must be able to accept critique / feedback
- Ability to prioritize and multitask in a fast paced environment
- Strong time management skills
- Is inspired by our mission and in alignment with our values
- Is able to come up with creative and innovative marketing campaigns
- Flexible schedule that will allow them to work occasional odd hours for special events.
- Salary TBD
- Medical & Dental Benefits
- Healthiest You - additional low cost medical and mental health advice benefit for PT and FT employees
- Flexible PTO
- Generous employee discount
- Oregon Saves account access
- HSA account via some health insurance options
- Occasional free tickets to live music and other TLE-sponsored events.
- Working with a group of kind, hard-working, hilarious, value-driven, talented humans :)
Please email brianne (at) tenderlovingempire.com with the subject line MARKETING MANAGER APPLICATION. Include your resume, along with a cover letter, and 2-3 copywriting samples from you previous work experience.